|Dates:||October 10–October 15|
|Radio announcers:||W. O. McGeehan (Games 1–3), Graham McNamee (Games 3–6)|
|Umpires:||Billy Evans (AL), Hank O'Day (NL), Dick Nallin (AL), Bob Hart (NL)|
|Future Hall of Famers:|| Yankees: Miller Huggins (mgr.), Lou Gehrig (dnp), Waite Hoyt, Herb Pennock, Babe Ruth. Giants: John McGraw (mgr.), Dave Bancroft, Frankie Frisch, Travis Jackson, George Kelly, Casey Stengel‡, Bill Terry (dnp), Hack Wilson (dnp), Ross Youngs.|
‡ elected as a manager.
| World Series
In the 1923 World Series, the New York Yankees beat the New York Giants in six games. This would be the first of the Yankees' 27 World Series championships (as of 2015). The home field alternated each game, a noted difference to the 2–3–2 format.
The Yankees opened their new Yankee Stadium in April on a home run by Babe Ruth, setting the tone for the season and this Series, in which Ruth hit three home runs along with drawing eight walks. In Game 2, second baseman, Aaron Ward hit a home run. The Giants' one bright spot was "Old Casey" Stengel, who hit game-winning homers in each of the two Giants' victories. In typically eccentric Stengel fashion, one of them was inside-the-park at the cavernous Yankee Stadium, and his shoe came loose during his run around the bases. Stengel was traded after the season, leading him to quip later in life, "It's a good thing I didn't hit three homers in three games, or McGraw would have traded me to the Three-I League!". A quarter century later, Stengel would take on the role of Yankees manager, and would guide the Bronx Bombers through one of their most successful eras.
In Game 6, The Yankees overcame the 4–1 deficit by staging a five-run rally in the eighth inning to clinch the series.
The three consecutive matchups between the Yankees and Giants (1921–1923) marked the only time (as of 2008), that three straight World Series featured the same two clubs.
Thanks to the large seating capacity of the new Yankee Stadium, coupled with expansion of the Polo Grounds the same year, the 1923 Series was the first to eclipse 300,000 in total attendance (301,430), averaging over 50,000 per game (50,238), with gate receipts over $1 million dollars ($1,063,815.00).
|1||New York Giants – 5, New York Yankees – 4||October 10||Yankee Stadium||55,307|
|2||New York Yankees – 4, New York Giants – 2||October 11||Polo Grounds (IV)||40,402|
|3||New York Giants – 1, New York Yankees – 0||October 12||Yankee Stadium||62,430|
|4||New York Yankees – 8, New York Giants – 4||October 13||Polo Grounds (IV)||46,302|
|5||New York Giants – 1, New York Yankees – 8||October 14||Yankee Stadium||62,817|
|6||New York Yankees – 6, New York Giants – 4||October 15||Polo Grounds (IV)||34,172|
|New York (NL)||0||0||4||0||0||0||0||0||1||5||8||0|
|New York (AL)||1||2||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||4||12||1|
HRs: NYG – Casey Stengel (1)
|New York (AL)||0||1||0||2||1||0||0||0||0||4||10||0|
|New York (NL)||0||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||2||9||2|
HRs: NYY – Aaron Ward (1), Babe Ruth 2 (2) NYG – Irish Meusel (1)
|New York (NL)||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||1||4||0|
|New York (AL)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||6||1|
HRs: NYG – Casey Stengel (2)
|New York (AL)||0||6||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||8||13||1|
|New York (NL)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||1||4||13||1|
HRs: NYG – Ross Youngs (1)
|New York (NL)||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||3||2|
|New York (AL)||3||4||0||1||0||0||0||0||X||8||14||0|
HRs: NYY – Joe Dugan (1)
|New York (AL)||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0||6||5||0|
|New York (NL)||1||0||0||1||1||1||0||0||0||4||10||1|
HRs: NYY – Babe Ruth (3) NYG – Frank Snyder (1)
|New York Yankees||5||13||1||4||1||0||1||5||0||30||60||3|
|New York Giants||1||2||4||1||1||2||1||3||2||17||47||6|
Total attendance: 301,430
Average attendance: 50,238
Winning player’s share: $6,143
Losing player’s share: $4,113</small>
- ↑ 1923 World Series Game 1 - New York Giants vs. New York Yankees. Retrosheet. Retrieved on 2008-05-08.
- ↑ 1923 World Series Game 2 - New York Yankees vs. New York Giants. Retrosheet. Retrieved on 2008-05-08.
- ↑ 1923 World Series Game 3 - New York Giants vs. New York Yankees. Retrosheet. Retrieved on 2008-05-08.
- ↑ 1923 World Series Game 4 - New York Yankees vs. New York Giants. Retrosheet. Retrieved on 2008-05-08.
- ↑ 1923 World Series Game 5 - New York Giants vs. New York Yankees. Retrosheet. Retrieved on 2008-05-08.
- ↑ 1923 World Series Game 6 - New York Yankees vs. New York Giants. Retrosheet. Retrieved on 2008-05-08.
- ↑ 1923 World Series. Baseball Almanac. Retrieved on 2008-05-18.
- Neft, David S., and Richard M. Cohen. The World Series. 1st ed. New York: St Martins, 1990. (Neft and Cohen 97–101)
- Reichler, Joseph, ed. (1982). The Baseball Encyclopedia (5th ed.), p. 2131. MacMillian Publishing. ISBN 0-02-579010-2.
- Forman, Sean L.. 1923 World Series. Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Statistics and Information.. Retrieved on 2007-12-09.