Gerrit Alan Cole (September 8, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball. He was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates with the 1st overall selection in the 2011 MLB Draft. He formerly played for the Pirates and Houston Astros.
High school careerEdit
Cole was drafted by the New York Yankees in the first round (28th overall) of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. The Yankees, planning on offering Cole a bonus above the recommended amount for the slot, waited until the deadline to attempt to sign Cole, by which time Cole had decided to follow through with his collegiate scholarship with UCLA. Despite being represented by Scott Boras, and though the Yankees were believed to be ready to offer upwards of $4 million, Cole never negotiated with the Yankees, as he was determined to attend college.
During the 2010 season, he contributed in making the Bruins team the best baseball team (51-17 record) in school history and the second best team in the country. The team went on to play in the 2010 College World Series and was defeated by South Carolina in the NCAA Championship Series. Cole went 11-4 with a 3.37 ERA, collecting 153 strikeouts in 123.0 innings.
In his freshman year, Cole recorded a 4-8 record with a 3.49 ERA, collecting 104 strikeouts in 85.0 innings.
- ↑ First Round Pick Gerrit Cole Opts For College Over Yankees
- ↑ Kepner, Tyler. "The One That Got Away Is Still a Yankees Fan, and a Hot Pitching Prospect", New York Times, April 3, 2011. Retrieved on April 4, 2011.
- ↑ "Cubs and Sweet Lou giving their fans reason to believe - Jon Heyman - SI.com", CNN, August 18, 2008.
- ↑ 2010 CNT Trials roster announced, USABaseball.com, July 1, 2010
- ↑ 2010 CNT roster announced , USABaseball.com, July 11, 2010
- ↑ Yankees take Gerrit Cole with 1st rd. pick in MLB draft, NY Daily News, June 6, 2008
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube
- Minor League Baseball: Events: 2008 Draft Report
- Player Bio: Gerrit Cole
- Scouting Gerrit Cole, UCLA
- The Hardball Times: Breaking Down the Draft: Scouting Gerrit Cole