This page has been copied from Wikipedia under the provisions of the GNU Free Documentation License.
Please help Baseball Wiki by revising it.

The Hank Aaron Award is an annual award in Major League Baseball awarded to the top hitter in each league. It was introduced in 1999 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Hank Aaron surpassing Babe Ruth's career home run mark.

In 1999, a winner was selected using an objective points system. Hits, home runs and runs batted in were given certain point values and the winner was the player who had the highest tabulated points total. The system was changed in 2000, however, to a ballot system, whereby each club's radio and television play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts were given three player votes for each league. The first place vote receives five points, the second place vote receives three points, and the third place vote receives one point, and again the winner is the player with the highest point total. Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote through the website. Fan voting accounted for 30% of the points, with broadcaster and analyst voting accounting for the other 70%.

The "Hank Aaron Award" is the first, and so far only, baseball award commemorating a living player. The award is sponsored by Century 21 Real Estate.

Winners to date are:

1999 American League Manny Ramirez Cleveland Indians
1999National League Sammy Sosa Chicago Cubs
2000 American LeagueCarlos Delgado Toronto Blue Jays
2000National LeagueTodd Helton Colorado Rockies
2001 American LeagueAlex Rodriguez Texas Rangers
2001National LeagueBarry Bonds San Francisco Giants
2002 American LeagueAlex Rodriguez (2)Texas Rangers
2002National LeagueBarry Bonds (2)San Francisco Giants
2003 American LeagueAlex Rodriguez (3)Texas Rangers
2003National LeagueAlbert Pujols St. Louis Cardinals
2004 American LeagueManny Ramirez (2)Boston Red Sox
2004National LeagueBarry Bonds (3)San Francisco Giants
2005 American LeagueDavid Ortiz Boston Red Sox
2005National LeagueAndruw Jones Atlanta Braves
2006 American LeagueDerek Jeter New York Yankees
2006National LeagueRyan Howard Philadelphia Phillies
2007 American LeagueAlex Rodriguez (4) New York Yankees
2007National LeaguePrince Fielder Milwaukee Brewers
2008 American LeagueKevin Youkilis Boston Red Sox
2008National LeagueAramis Ramirez Chicago Cubs
2009 American LeagueDerek Jeter (2)New York Yankees
2009National LeagueAlbert Pujols (2)St. Louis Cardinals
2010 American LeagueJose Bautista Toronto Blue Jays
2010National LeagueJoey Votto Cincinnati Reds
2011 American LeagueJose Bautista (2)Toronto Blue Jays
2011National LeagueMatt Kemp Los Angeles Dodgers
2012 American LeagueMiguel Cabrera Detroit Tigers
2012National LeagueBuster Posey San Francisco Giants

External links Edit

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.